Sunday, September 18, 2011

11 Things I Know I Know: Week 2

1. I know Tony Romo saved the season today with his fourth quarter/OT comeback win. His play, namely the goal line fumble, last week against the Jets was indefensible, but he completely redeemed himself in my eyes and likely the eyes of many others when he played the second half with a broken rib.

I broke a rib in college, and it was one of the most painful experiences for two straight weeks. I struggled getting into bed, and I can't imagine the pain he was in during the game.

2. I know the two teams whose fans need them most in these difficult economic times - Detroit and Buffalo - have made their cities proud and given them hope with their 2-0 starts.

Detroit looks amazing through two weeks, and Ryan Fitzpatrick looks more than capable of leading the offense.

The Bills host the Patriots next Sunday in the only game of the week featuring two undefeated teams.

3. I know the seasons ended today for Kansas City, Indianapolis, Minnesota, and Miami. Nice knowing you, and good luck in your quest for Andrew Luck.

4. I know we learned a lot about the Packers and Cam Newton during today's game.

The Packers need help in the secondary. Drew Brees lit them up last week, and now Newton had his way with them today. Adjustments need to be made if they want to repeat as Super Bowl champs...and I assume they do.

Newton has now thrown for 400+ yards in his first two career NFL games. He deserved a better fate today, but then again, he only has himself to blame as the Panthers had a chance to tie in the last three minutes but could not do so.

5. I know Bill Belichick's cockiness will cost the Patriots a game at some point this season. With a six-point lead and 11:46 left in the fourth quarter, New England faced 4th-and-4 at the Chargers' 49. BB went for it, but the Pats were stopped. San Diego took over on downs with great field position. Unfortunately for them, Mike "Rhinoceros" Tolbert fumbled three plays later. Still, it seemed like a risk that wasn't worth taking.

6. I know the Jets took care of business as any team should when Luke McCown is the opposing quarterback. It's a good thing too because they face a daunting schedule over the next seven games: at Oakland, at Baltimore, at New England, Miami, San Diego, at Buffalo, and New England. They will need a healthy Nick Mangold in order to win the majority of those games.

7. I know QB Jason Campbell and the Raiders deserved a better fate after putting up 35 points despite a) missing their top three wide receivers (Jacoby Ford, Louis Murphy, Darrius Heyward-Bey) and b) traveling across the country to play the 1pm EST.

8. I know we shouldn't judge teams based solely on Opening Week. See: Steelers, Pittsburgh and Ravens, Baltimore. We still can't be sure how good the Steelers are because Seattle is terrible, but their defense will finish at the top of the league again. Baltimore's defense performed poorly in their first road test, and they clearly aren't as invincible as it seemed seven days ago.

9. I know I was pretty shocked to see the Bears throw out a stinker in New Orleans today on the heels of an emotional week that included the passing of Brian Urlacher's mother. I can't really blame him for having his mind elsewhere, but his teammates need to pick him up.

10. I know the three dumbest headbutts of the weekend were:
1. Falcons CB Dunta Robinson on Eagles WR Jeremy Maclin
2. Victor Ortiz on Floyd Mayweather (even dumber was trying to overapologize)
3. Every fantasy owner of Broncos WR Brandon Lloyd on the wall when they realized too late he was inactive

11. I know the Giants will beat the Rams tomorrow night, 27-17. Like the Steelers, the Giants are not as bad as they played in Week One. The crowd will be raucous, and I don't see how St. Louis can stop the Giants rushing attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment