Sunday, October 24, 2010

Week 7: 11 Things I Know I Know

1. I know the Saints are a baffling team. Losing 30-17 (the score was actually much closer than the game was) at home to previously underwhelming Cleveland, a team whose quarterback was making just his second career start. Drew Brees threw four picks, two of which were returned for touchdowns by David Bowens. New Orleans had better figure things out quickly as they host Pittsburgh on Halloween night.
 
2. I know that Josh McDaniels should be feeling some heat right now. Since the Broncos started 6-0 under the rookie head coach last season, the team has gone 4-13 and were absolutely embarrassed at home against long-time rival Oakland by 45 points. If Belichick's pupil got the credit for the hot beginning, he needs to accept the blame now.
 
3. I know Darren McFadden is finally starting to live up to his potential. After an injury-riddled two-plus seasons, Run DMC is on pace for over 2,000 yards from scrimmage. The Raiders are only a game and a half behind the Chiefs (yes, those Chiefs) for first place in the AFC West. The two teams play in two weeks in Oakland. Who thought this game would mean anything? Turns out, it will in large part because of McFadden.
 
4. I know that I would have lost my whole life savings and more if someone offered me a bet that Cleveland punter Reggie Hodges would outrush Tennessee running back Chris Johnson on the day. The unthinkable, however, transpired as Hodges scampered for 68 yards on a fake punt while Johnson only racked up 66 yards on 24 carries. Also, in Titans' game, Kenny Britt made people forget about his midweek arrest very quickly with his performance - 7 catches, 225 yards, 3 TDs.
 
5. I know that Atlanta's Roddy White is the best wide receiver in the league. Say what you want about Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss or any other pass catcher, and I will explain why none matches RW84. With almost 750 yards receiving and five touchdowns in seven weeks, I think most cornerbacks would agree with me.
 
6. I know Carson Palmer is the king of the hollow stat line. He has thrown for over 200 yards in four games this season. The Bengals' record in those four games: 0-4. Speaking of the Bengals, they have been atrocious. Aside from the third quarter against Atlanta, the team has been outscored by 31 points on the season.
 
7. I know the Chargers had one of the most devastating losses during a season they would like to forget...but, there's still hope. San Diego came back from 17 points down with 7:30 left in the fourth quarter only to miss a tying field goal with under 30 seconds to play. Momentum would have been sky-high had Kris Brown made the kick. Instead, it hit the right upright and bounced away sending the team to a disappointing 2-5. However, in my estimation, the team will be favored in seven of its final nine games. Plus, no other team in the division has won more than eight games since 2006. 9-7 should be good enough if they can get there.
 
8. I know my playoff dreams for the Rams took another hit today. St. Louis blew a 14-point lead against a Bucs' team that has no business being 4-2. A win would have kept them a half game behind the Seahawks. Now, they find themselves in third place of the division. Not good, but at least they covered.
 
9. I know DeAngelo Hall had the game of his life intercepting four passes and throwing the Redskins on his back. Jay Cutler looked awful as per usual. Bears fading. Redskins showing signs of life under Shanahan.
 
10. I know the Dolphins got hosed on the Big Ben fumble call. The ball was clearly stripped before he hit the goal line, and the Dolphins must have recovered as there were four Miami players on top of the ball and no Steelers in the vicinity. It's a shame that it might cost them a playoff spot.
 
11. I know the Cowboys will beat the Giants on MNF by a score of 34-30. This NFL season makes very little sense. Two weeks ago, the Giants looked completely lost on both sides of the ball. Right now, they look like the best team in the AFC.

No comments:

Post a Comment